Welcome to A Hot Piece of Glass!

WELCOME to my colorful corner of the world! I write here about the things I make, in glass, fiber, metals, and whatever else I can find to play with!

**And if you want to read more about me, check out Adventures In Living!, my personal blog, or The ScooterMom, where I write about my adventures on two wheels! If you're interested in medieval, ancient and Renaissance glass, check out my history blog, The Medieval Glassworker!**

Friday, June 4, 2010

A quickie for the weekend

I'm learning honest-to-goodness metalsmithing!

Not surprisingly, it's HARD to hammer a piece of 16ga copper sheet into this shape. It's fun, though, and this bowl isn't quite finished yet. More hammering, some application of heat, and more hammering after that.

And....I made end-of-year gifts for the little kids' preschool teachers. Single-charm bracelets....silverplated chain with one of my Bloomz beads as the charm:

The teachers all loved them, which makes me happy. They do an incredible job for little pay, and we are grateful for their dedication to our little ones.

What else...what else.....oh! My garden is really growing now! Must be all the heat, humidity and rain we have been having. I must have a dozen or more tomatoes just waiting to get ripe. Aaah...I cannot wait to sink my teeth into the first tomato sandwich of the season!
I especially love looking out into my yard and seeing that happy pinwheel spinning in the breeze! The shot of color amidst all the lush greens of summer is particularly lovely.

I hope you all have a great weekend....next week will hopefully bring more jewelry and beads to show off, and --gasp!-- maybe I'll even update my Etsy shop with some new lovelies!

Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, very cool, hammering a bowl out of copper sheet. The garden looks great and those lucky teachers...I need to start working on teacher gifts this weekend.

Aquariart said...

You make me miss the long garden season in Washington state. I now live in the desert and garden in pots. By the end of July everything is pretty much cooked in their pots but I have two cherry tomato plants and a pepper bush doing great right now.
You must have to whack the heck out of that copper- good way to handle a real mad maybe? Looks good!

Courtney Breul said...

beautiful! all of it.

jessememan said...

Wow...can't wait to see the finished bowl! I love the little flower charm bracelets. I have got to get something done for my son's teacher as well for next week.

Christine said...

Thanks, everyone!

Jeanette: Thanks! It started it's life as a 6"x6" piece of 16ga copper sheet, and I sawed the circle out myself (only broke 2 blades!).

Heather: Yeah, there is a LOT of hammering involved. I can only stand to do it for about 20 minutes at most, and then my elbow just gets too sore. It sure is fun, though!

Courtney and Melissa: Thanks so much!

Pretty Things said...

Your garden looks great! Reminds me of the huge one I used to have in the house before this one!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

I can't wait to see the finished bowl! Are your raising the bowl or sinking the bowl? Will you patina or use enamels. So exciting!

Unknown said...

This is so cool! I would love to learn how to do this.
I think it's perfect as it is.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails