Welcome to A Hot Piece of Glass!

WELCOME to my colorful corner of the world! I write here about the things I make, in glass, fiber, metals, and whatever else I can find to play with!

**And if you want to read more about me, check out Adventures In Living!, my personal blog, or The ScooterMom, where I write about my adventures on two wheels! If you're interested in medieval, ancient and Renaissance glass, check out my history blog, The Medieval Glassworker!**

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

(Not Even Remotely) Wordless Wednesday

I was reading a post this morning by Lorelei Eurto over on Art Bead Scene about her not going to the big Bead & Button Show in Milwaukee this week. It's a huge trade show with tons of opportunities for classes, networking, hobnobbing, and of course, bead and bead supply buying. heaven for those of us involved with art jewelry, or really, ANYTHING that has to do with beads.

I have never been to Milwaukee, and I want to go, for the show, definitely, and just because the last time I traveled alone to a location I have never been to before was....senior year in college? Eighteen years ago now. I forget what it's like to travel alone, to manage everything all by yourself, get through the airport, to your destination, find food, necessities, get around the city. I was too scared to really do much traveling when I was twentysomething; I much preferred the safety of the "known world" I inhabited at college. I wish I could have had the sense of adventure and relative fearlessness THEN that I seem to have developed NOW. Isn't that always the way? Sometimes I find it hard to let go of regret over choices I made when I was young.

I hope I instill a sense of "give it a shot, go for it, explore!" mentality in my children. One thing I have learned over the last year with my art journey is that it's never too late to do what's in your heart.

******************************************
And, in a totally random way....here is the new kitten that has unexpectedly joined the Brandel household:
I give you -- Shadow! She is six weeks old and SO Very Tiny.
My husband is a very compassionate man. He found this little beauty mewling piteously behind his office building yesterday and couldn't bear to leave her. Sorry for the crummy picture, it's hard to snap a shot of a feisty little furball such as this when you are by yourself.

****************************************************
I've been getting into a daily exercise routine, to help increase my energy level and maaaaybe lose some weight (maybe). Having more energy definitely increases my creative activity, so that's an awesome side-effect. Additionally, I have been trying to change my diet, slowly, ever so slowly. I have a choke-hold on carbohydrates of all kinds....can't live without good bread...and WON'T live without good ice cream and good beer...so that's been difficult.

I had a killer workout this morning, on only four hours of sleep (that kitty!), and fueled by two cups of coffee and a banana and some very loud Green Day in my mp3 player.
What's that you say? Is that...? Why yes, yes it is. My post-workout breakfast DID consist of last night's leftover red cabbage slaw...
Not that you all are interested in my breakfast habits, I just wanted to show you the beautiful magenta color of the cabbage. Isn't that just fantastic? I have to figure out how to get that color in glass. I have several friends who are knowledgeable in the art of dyeing with natural materials, like onion skins, beets, and the like. I bet this would make a great dye! I know it would make a great glass color! I'm sure I can find it in some COE 104 glass....hey, maybe I should work on the torch today...

Hope your Wednesday is productive and creative and colorful!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to come see the new family member. How incredibly adorable!!!!

Aquariart said...

Oh your kitten is soooooo adorable. I love it's blue eyes with the gray fur! You made cabbage look appetizing- that is quite a feat!! Enjoy your day and know I am right there with the food thing too. Too many bad choices available these days.

Cindy said...

HI Christine
Your husband is a compassionate and wonderful guy! Who could leave that tiny little kitty behind? Congrats on the new member of your family.
I am just like you about bread - it is something I can never stay away from! I'm thinking of making homemade pizza tonight - that yeast dough smells heavenly in the kitchen.
Cindy

Christine said...

Heather: Thanks! She is a sweetie.

Cindy: We don't even order pizza for delivery anymore....I make it by hand once a week and it is SO much better! Do it! Pizza is awesome! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails