Welcome to A Hot Piece of Glass!

WELCOME to my colorful corner of the world! I write here about the things I make, in glass, fiber, metals, and whatever else I can find to play with!

**And if you want to read more about me, check out Adventures In Living!, my personal blog, or The ScooterMom, where I write about my adventures on two wheels! If you're interested in medieval, ancient and Renaissance glass, check out my history blog, The Medieval Glassworker!**

Friday, October 10, 2008

I'm really excited!!

Yesterday, I met with Ellie Coyne, the volunteer coordinator for the Thomas Palliative Care Unit at the VCU Medical Center here in Richmond. She had seen my work on a friend of mine (hi Cosette!) and liked it. Ellie asked Cosette if I could make glass butterflies for a fundraiser for the unit. I sent her some samples, which she liked, and yesterday, I took some more to show her. We refined the design and colors some more, and now I will make five pendants for the unit to sell at their next fundraiser in November. Ellie plans for these to be sort of iconic and representative of the unit, so we are sticking to a small palette of pinks and purples and some yellow, so that they will all look similar. Ellie's plan is to have me make the pendants periodically throughout the year, and eventually have a display set up on the unit so that families and loved ones of patients can purchase them to support the unit and have a remembrance of their loved one who passed on.

I'm working on a design for glass butterfly cabochons that can be turned into tie tacs or lapel pins for the gentlemen, as well. Can't let the ladies have all the glass goodies! ;)

I'm really excited about doing this, partially because hospice services are close to my heart (my mom and aunt are hospice nurses), but also because I am happy to be supporting a great group of people who make this stage of life easier on all involved. And hey, it doesn't hurt to have my work associated with such a prestigious hospital system, either.

I'll post some pictures of the butterflies as I complete them, so you all can see what I'm up to. I'll also let you know how you can purchase a butterfly to support the care unit, too, if you like, once we get going on the project.

Now, I'm off to order large amounts of pink and purple glass!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails