Welcome to A Hot Piece of Glass!

WELCOME to my colorful corner of the world! I write here about the things I make, in glass, fiber, metals, and whatever else I can find to play with!

**And if you want to read more about me, check out Adventures In Living!, my personal blog, or The ScooterMom, where I write about my adventures on two wheels! If you're interested in medieval, ancient and Renaissance glass, check out my history blog, The Medieval Glassworker!**

Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring is Springing!


I am so glad it has started to get warmer and be sunshinier here in Virginia. As much as I adore winter, I am very glad for the days that mean I can be outside with my kids without a mountain of coats, scarves, gloves, boots, etc.

This weekend was nearly perfect. The sun was warm, the breeze was blowing, and we even got out to fly kites on Saturday. I love flying kites, and it was great fun to teach my little ones how to get their little kites in the air without running!

It was also a terrific weekend for estate sales around here. Noah and I had spent out Friday together hitting a couple sales (instead of making our usual Friday-morning grocery run), and I found a set of matched vintage suitcases for cheap. Not wanting to commit to them on Friday ("What will I DO with them?" Where will I put them?"), I passed them up, but then couldn't stop thinking about what I WOULD do with them, and went back on Saturday afternoon. Thankfully, they were still there, having been stuffed into a closet in the house. SCORE!

That's my dog, Ruby. She helps.


I love the little train case! It needs a mirror (no problem!), and all the cases smell a teeny bit...funky...but it wasn't anything a day or so in the sunshine couldn't handle.

Right now the cases are in my dining room. One is stacked on the antique sewing machine with my mannequins, Frank and Jane, and the other two are stacked on the floor next to my hutch. I know they would make FANTASTIC display cases for my work, but I am at a loss as to how to retrofit them to display jewelry, and how to keep them open on the table. I'm thinking a small sandbag weight over the back, and some jewelry stands inside to show off my work.

Now all I need is some work. And a show.

In other news, I did some copper etching yesterday, and I'm not totally thrilled with the results. Rather, the results were not what I was hoping for when i was all done. I don't think I let them soak long enough or left them in the pickle too long, or something. I dunno. More experimenting is required.



Happy Spring!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails